Get in Touch
Personal Immigration

Skilled Worker Visa

Make a Free Enquiry
Skilled Worker visa 

The skilled worker visa route is for individuals with an eligible job offer from a Home Office licensed sponsor to come and work in the United Kingdom. The job offer must satisfy certain skills  & salary requirements set out by the UK government.

Skilled worker visa requirements

The key requirement to be eligible to apply for the skilled worker route is as follows.

  • Be 18 years of age or over and have a valid certificate of sponsorship from a Home Office approved sponsor
  • The job offer must be for a genuine vacancy set out at an appropriate skill level 
  • Be paid a salary that meets or exceeds the salary threshold or 'going rate' set out for the position 
  • Meet the maintenance requirement or have this certified by the 'A rated' sponsor
  • Be competent in English Language level to at least CEFR Level B1
  • Provide a Criminal clearance certificate and TB certificate if required

The applicant must meet the required skill level of at least RQF 3, meet English Language proficiency and minimum salary threshold or have a PhD relevant to the job or if the job is in shortage occupation. The minimum salary must be the higher of either the specified salary threshold for their occupation ‘the going rate’ or the general salary threshold. The minimum general salary threshold is set at £25,600.

How can we assist?

Our Immigration lawyers at City Legal have immense experience in assisting skilled workers and their employers across a wide range of industry and sectors in the UK. We are a multi award winning law firm and pride ourselves in being approachable, innovative and always going that extra mile to make sure our clients receive the individual attention they deserve. 

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the maximum period one can stay under the Skilled worker route?

The Skilled worker route does not have a maximum length of stay, unlike the old Tier 2 General route which had a maximum stay of 6 years.

Is there a cooling-off period under the skilled worker route?

The 12 month cooling off period is removed under the skilled worker route and individuals can apply to enter anytime as they wish.

Can Tier 2 ICT visa holders switch to the skilled worker route?

Tier 2 ICT holders are permitted to switch in the UK to skilled worker route and there is no 12 month cooling off period applicable.

Does my employer need to conduct the Resident Labour Market Test?

There is no requirement for the sponsors to conduct a Resident Labour Market Test under skilled worker route. However, employers must keep evidence of recruitment activities to comply with their sponsor obligations and meet the genuine vacancy test.

What are tradeable points under the skilled worker route?

The applicant needs to earn 20 points related to the salary and this can be achieved in a number of different ways and hence referred to as 'tradeable'.
crossmenu linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram